Everywhere we look, we see people who are always connected online. Either they are using their mobile data, or they are hooked to some WiFi hotspot. People nowadays are connected to the world wide web 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, and this has converted from a mere necessity to an absolute necessity.
Not long before, it was a luxury for the common man to be connected to the Internet and check stuff online, but now it is no more a luxury, it is a commodity that everybody has access to, and there are people out there, who claim that WiFi is a mere necessity and that it should be available to everyone living in a society.
Now how is the idea to give funny wifi names to your wifi connection? Doesn’t it sound great?
History and Origin of WiFi
Wireless Fidelity, or more commonly WiFi is a technology that allows users to wirelessly connect to a LAN Network or WLAN. The technology makes use of 2.4 Gigahertz and the 5 Gigahertz frequency signals to transmit information between multiple devices wirelessly. Usually, private WLAN networks are password protected, which means that only authorized personnel can connect and avail its facilities, but in certain places, shops and governments have set up public WiFi hotspots, which are open WLAN Networks, meaning that anyone within its range can connect to it and use its features.
WiFi is defined as any wireless local area network (WLAN), which follows the 802.11 Standards set by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) by the WiFi Alliance. WiFi is a trademark of the WiFi Alliance, and the symbol can only be used by products that successfully pass the standards set by the alliance. Nowadays, every device we see around us, make use of WiFi. Starting from mobiles to tablets and from Internet of Things (IOT) enabled furniture to printers, everything we see around us is literally hooked on to the internet 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. And funny wifi names have become more popular to make the service of wifi more exciting.
The concept of W-Fi goes back to the early 1970s when ALOHA net connected the Hawaiian Islands with a UHF wireless packet. ALOHA net and the ALOHA protocol were the forerunners of the Ethernet and later the IEEE 802.11 Standards. The first version of the 802.11 IEEE protocol was released in 1997, and in 1999 the WiFi alliance was formed as a trade association in order to hold the trademark under which most of the products were being sold. WiFi technology runs on many patents which are owned by several companies all across the world. The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research, abbreviated as CSIRO holds the patents for many of the WiFi technology. In 2004, as many, as 14 companies paid CSIRO $250 million for the patents it held regarding WiFi technology. In 2012, CSIRO won a settlement worth $220 million and companies across the United States had to pay up to $1 billion for the royalties held by the association.
The name WiFi which was the abbreviation of the technology Wireless Fidelity was coined by the brand consulting firm, Interbrand which was hired by the WiFi Alliance in August 1999 to coin a name for the technology which was a little catchier than 802.11 IEEE Standard. Interband was also assigned the task of creating the WiFi log with funny wifi names. The yin-yang WiFi logo signifies that the technology is fit for interoperability.
There is a myth concerning the full form of the word WiFi. Some say that the WiFi Alliance used the “nonsense” advertising slogan for advertising its product leading to the misconception that WiFi is, in fact, the abbreviation for Wireless Fidelity. As of date, there is no clear evidence that WiFi is, in fact, the abbreviation for Wireless Fidelity. Can you imagine of giving funny wifi names to the wifi connections during those times?
IEEE which is the governing body for the IEEE 802.11 standard, does not test WiFi enabled devices for standard compatibility. In order to fill this void, the WiFi Alliance was formed in 1999, so that there is a common governing body that would be able to certify that the device is in fact fit to bear the WiFi enabled certification. For availing the certification, the device needs to maintain the IEEE 802.11 standards, WPA and WPA2 security standards, and the EAP standard authentication. The certification optionally includes testing of features related to connection with cellular phone technology, power saving, etc. At that time giving funny wifi names was not used too much as it is used these days.
Uses of WiFi
As mentioned earlier in this article, the WiFi technology serves a variety of purposes in various fields. From measuring your weight and wirelessly transmitting the data to your mobile app, WiFi does it all. Below is a comprehensive list of the many frontiers that involves the use of WiFitechnology-
- Internet Access– The main purpose that is served by WiFi technology is Internet access. The technology enables users to connect to a local area network wirelessly and seamlessly connect to the Internet. A router serves as a hotspot, where multiple devices within its range can connect. Most private hotspots, which are intended for private use, are password protected. They have WPA, WPA2, WPA2 PSK and WPA2 Enterprise security standards. The main purpose of so many security standards is to satisfy the variety of customers this technology has. Most of these private hotspots have funny wifi names, which help to distinguish it from other similar hotspots. Among the many names that can be labeled as funny, here is a list of a few- Error 403 payment required, Your Daddy didn’t pay, Free virus, There is another kind of hotspot which is known as the public hotspot. This hotspot is generally available in shops and places of interest. At shops, the shop owners install this feature in order to let their customer surf the Internet for free while enjoying the facilities available in the shop. At places of interest, the government or the authorities who are in charge of maintenance of the place are the ones providing the free WiFi facility. There are a number of issues concerning the use of free WiFi facility. The number one issue that has been reported time and again by users is the security of the network. As these networks are open for all, anyone can connect and steal data. It has been proved that this is possible, and you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to do it.
- Direct communication between Computers – When two computers are connected to the same WiFi network, they can directly communicate between themselves, without ever connecting to the Internet and you can differentiate the two systems with funny wifi names. This technology is known as WiFi ad-hoc network and is very popular among handheld gaming consoles such as Nintendo DS, PlayStation, and PSP. Nowadays, even cameras and printers have WiFi facility in them, which allows them to wirelessly communicate with a computer for sharing files. Android phones which have the WiFi facility in them, have an app called ShareIt which uses this same technology, to seamlessly transfer files between two WiFi enabled mobiles.
Hardware Suitable for WiFi
WiFi technology has opened a whole new frontier. The technology promotes cheaper deployment of local area networks. In historical buildings where cables cannot be run, WiFi can be installed in order to seamlessly connect a number of devices and funny wifi names could have given to them. Like every other technology, WiFi also has a number of limitations that come in its way to serve you better. To overcome these difficulties, some specific hardware guidelines need to be followed. The guidelines include the following-
- The device must have a wireless access point embedded in its circuitry.
- The device should be able to transmit as well as receive data from wireless networks.
- The device should a standard range of operation.
The range varies from device to device. The device generally has a standard range of up to 100 meters. You can check with which wifi your system is connected by seeing the funny wifi names given to the system.
Almost everyone is connected to the Internet all through the day. If you are among the selected few, who have not yet caught up to this technology, then wait no more and get your private hotspot along with a funny wifi names today!