Jailbreaking is a term used for the procedure involved in modifying the user permissions on your iPhone( or an iOS device. Akin to rooting on an Android phone, Jailbreaking can be a risky affair. However, it does have its own set of advantages. If you are someone who loves installing unofficial apps on your iPhone, the efforts you would put into are worth it. How to jailbreak an iPhone? Let us find how we can jailbreak your device in the following paragraphs.
What is Jailbreaking?
Well, jailbreaking is a procedure involved in bypassing the restrictions put forth on the device by the manufacturers. This will help you become the true owner of the device that you have.
Jailbreaking will allow you gain access to the apps that Apple has not authorised. However, it has a set of risks involved in it. A single wrong step can cause your phone to brick or unresponsive.
How to jailbreak an iPhone?
There are several ways you can use to jailbreak your iPhone. The procedure involved also depends upon the version of the operating system that your device is on. The major methods can be broadly classified as Tethered, Untethered and Semi Tethered methods.
Tethered Jailbreaks involve the use of PC or laptop and running an application on it to jailbreak your device. Once you do it, you need to take care not to reboot your iPhone. In case, you switch off your phone for any reason and then restart it, you will lose the jailbreak. You will need to repeat the entire procedure once again. And until you jailbreak again, your iPhone will not be good for anything. Untethered Jailbreaking will not be wiped off even after a reboot. It will, in fact, be the jailbreak in its own right.
The semi-tethered method rests between the two. It will need you to repeat the procedure for jailbreaking after each restart. However, you would be performing all those steps on your phone itself. .
How to jailbreak an iPhone on iOS 10.2
The jailbreaking method involved here is called Yalu Jailbreak. The software is still in alpha stage of development and can have some issues. If you do not want to risk yourself, you may decide to wait.
Follow the steps here below –
- Visit the Yalu Jailbreak Page and download the Yalu IPA.
- Now, visit Cydia Impactor link and download the impactor that is compatible with your operating system. You will need to make a choice between Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Double click the installer you downloaded above and install it. Please note that you will need to extract the files from the downloaded ZIP file. Make sure you have plugged in your iPhone to the computer.
- Run the Impactor and drag the Yalu Jailbreak you downloaded in the above steps into the installer window.
- Enter your Apple ID and click on OK.
- If you encounter errors, you may need an app specific password.Here is how you can get it,
- Visit the Apple ID website
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- Locate App Specific Passwords and click on Generate Password.
- Give a label and click on Create.
- Copy or note down the password created.
- Enter the app specific password in the place on Imapctor and click OK.
- Installation should begin on your device. Wait till it completes.
- Launch the Yalu app on your iPhone.
- You should get the pop up stating that the Apple ID is untrusted. Mke it trusted by following the steps below
- Go to Settings->General->Device Management
- Tap on the Apple ID you wish to make trusted.
- Now, tap on Trust and then Confirm.
- Tap the button that says Go. You will get a message stating that the storage is almost full.
- Reboot your phone and this will complete the jailbreak process.
How to jailbreak the devices running iOS 10 to 10.1.1
The procedure involved will be the same except for the fact that the download links and the a few steps in the final stages differ.
- From the Yalu Page explained above, download the yalu + mach_portal file
- The rest of the steps would be similar to the ones outlined in the above tutorial.
- Once the jailbreak id done, launch Cydia application.
- Open the Sources Tab.
- Tap Edit at the top right and then tap Add at top left.
- Type in the link URL: http://126.96.36.199/~ijapija00/cydia.
- Search for the Substrate Fix (iOS 10) and install it.
How to jailbreak iOS 9.0 to 9.3.3
Follow the steps here below
- Visit Pangu site
- Click on Download and Help
- Click on Download
- Launch Pangu on your computer.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer . Pangu will detect your phone in a few minutes.
- Click on Start. You will receive a pop up asking whether you have backed up.Click on Already Backed Up
- Let the jailbreak to complete. Your iPhone may reboot a few times. You may also be prompted to put your phone into the Airplane mode.
- Follow all the instructions carefully.
- Launch Pangu app on your phone when prompted.
- Allow access to your photos when asked for. This will begin the jail break process.
- Let the jailbreak complete. Once it is done, the Pangu app will disappear.
- Launch Cydia. Let it finish its initial setup.
- Your device will now reboot and this will complete the jailbreak process.
The Concluding Thoughts
Those are a few methods you can use to jailbreak your iPhone. Please note that jailbreaking an iPhone is not as easy as rooting an Android device. In addition, there are several risks involved in jailbreaking an iPhone. However, we have provided the steps in an easy to follow format. We assume that the tips outlined in this tutorial would be helpful in your needs. However, we would advise you not to take the risk if you are a novice in the matters associated with tweaks and mods. Taking assistance from a friend who is expert enough h would be the best option.
Once you jailbreak your device, take care to change the superuser password. If you are not aware of how to do it, you can install the Mobile Terminal application and change the default password. Do you think there are any other better methods you can use to jailbreak your iPhone? If you have used any such methods, do share them with us. We would look forward to your comments and feedback.